Thursday, May 17, 2007

Finding Discipline in a Changing World






Seasons come and go. Nature continues its steady change from winter to spring. The ground bursts open with new life and growth. Trees and shrubs awake from their winter rest and begin new growth, buds and blooms emerge. However, while all this new birth blooms around me, I have found it hard to stretch myself and produce new fruit.
The new year brought about a flurry of activity at work with new responsibilities and challenges. It has been rewarding and exciting meeting new people and stepping into my place within a group of creative and talented folks. However, in my personal life, I have not had the energy to be creative. My knitting sits and awaits my company. Other projects are lined up, but I do not have the ambition to pick them up and see where they take me. I originally attributed it to the wedding because I was saving my creative energy for that big undertaking. I worked at a flower shop during Valentine's Day. It was energizing to be in "holiday" design mode. You just jump in and begin designing and it felt good to know that I still could throw together beautiful arrangements.
When March arrived and the wedding drew near, I was excited about doing this for the kids and very anxious about such a large project without having my shop and tools handy. The wedding was great, and I was thankful for my helpers- my sister and several friends. It was truly a labor of love and I hope it is awhile before the next family wedding!
Easter seemed to be a more creative time for me. I began to take more quiet time to myself and slow down a little. I started going to parks and spend time at nurseries to feel a little closer to nature. I began to use more fresh flowers and plants at work. My new camera became an excuse to stop and look at the flowers and budding trees in the area.
April brought a new house into the horizon and we moved in by May. There is the basis of a beautiful yard and I have been enjoying the plants around the house. Now that we are settled in a little better, I know that I will be able to take time to work on creative endeavors. My mind has been swirling with all kinds of projects. The biggest hurdle will be allowing myself the time to work on those projects, knowing that I have to have a creative outlet. I will have to let you know how disciplined I am and how it use the talents that God has given to me. The verse that has been placed on my heart lately is Psalms 1:3- "And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither, and in whatever he does, he prospers." I need to send out my roots to the "living water" so that I can be fruitful. Please pray that I continue to drink from that source. Take care and be fruitful.