Friday, July 29, 2005

A Prayer for Frustrated Prayer Shawl Knitters

I recently completed a prayer shawl for a member of my church. While reading about the prayer shawl ministry, I came across this prayer. It is a prayer for all my friends that are new to knitting and are frustrated with their attempts at completing a prayer shawl.

Good God!
~a shawl maker’s prayer~
By Janet Bristow 6-2005

Good God!
Guide me through the
knots, kinks,
dropped stitches,
split yarn,
shredded fringe,
dye lot mismatches,
pattern mistakes, errors,
and the myriad other “issues” that get in the way of my centeredness!

Help me to see that these annoyances:
knotted emotions,
kinked plans,
dropped dreams,
split relationships,
shredded hopes,
mismatched friendships,
mistaken assumptions,
errant goals
are actually metaphors of life!

As I knit through the creation of the shawl, I gratefully acknowledge and accept the imperfections, weaving them into my prayers and intentions for the one who will be
wrapped in and blessed by it all!

No comments: